Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Slightly Dangerous

Title: Slightly Dangerous
Author: Mary Balogh
First Printing: 2004
Purchase Date: 2nd February 2006
Purchase price: £4.75
Retail price: $6.99
Purchased from: Amazon.co.uk

On book cover:

All of London is abuzz over the immenent arrival of Wulfric Bedwyn, the cold as ice Duke of Bewcastle, ast the most glittering social event of the season. But on this dazzling afternoon, only one woman would capture his attention – and she was the only female in the room who wasn’t even trying. Christine Derrick is intrigued by the handsome duke…all the more so when he invites her to become his mistress. What red blooded woman wouldn’t enjoy a tumble in the bedsheets with a consummate lover – with no questions asked. An independent beauty, Christine confounds Wulfric at every turn. Yet even as he vows to seduce her, something strange and wonderful is happening. Now for a man who thought he’d never lose his heart,nothing less than love will do…

Comments on book:

The last of the Slightly/ Bedwyn's series - many have commented on the similarity of this book’s story line to Austen’s Pride and Prejudice but I must confess that although I have read the latter a few times (for I was supposed to summarise it for my English class a long time ago), I did not really remember any similarities until somebody pointed it out to me. However, I did notice that somehow Mrs Balogh’s style was a little different in the book – she usually expresses the emotions of her characters clearly and well , but in this book, the emotions were subtled and hidden in between lines – very similar to Jo Beverley’s style, I feel. I must also admit, that the books in this series was the first few books of hers that I discovered and read quickly and like a child who ate too much chocolate, I got a little sick.

And so, although many people rave about this book and this series, I thought they are good, but not as good as they say and I blame it to too much Balogh in too short a time. I will never spoil my enjoyment of reading a good author doing that again. I might revisit the series in future when I can to acquire my own unbiased opinion of the books – when I’m not ready to barf at the mention fo Bedwyns.


Rating: 7.5/10 - Wulfric's story - a must read to followers of the series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home